Facebook announced recently that it will allow you to designate a friend or family member to be your Facebook estate executor and manage your account after your death.
The person is designated as your “Legacy Contact” and is someone you choose to look after your account when it’s memorialized. Once your account is memorialized, your legacy contact will have the option to do things like:
- Write a pinned post for your profile (ex: to share a final message on your behalf or provide information about a memorial service)
- Respond to new friend requests (ex: old friends or family members who weren’t yet on Facebook)
- Update your profile picture and cover photo
A Legacy Contact can not access your account, until it is memorialized.
How to designate a Legacy Contact:
- On the right side of your Facebook page, click on the downward-facing arrow to show the drop-down menu. Click on “Settings.”
- Choose “Security,” then “Legacy Contact” at the bottom of the page.
- Choose your Legacy Contact from your friends list. Choose the options you want your Legacy Contact to have.
- The system will offer an option to send a message to that person.
For more information visit Facebook’s Help Section.Categories: Blog